The employment outlook is good, especially in rural communities. The starting salary range of a new graduate in the Tulsa area is approximately $275 a day. Salaries vary with geographic location and the clinical practice setting. The dental hygienist has a variety of career options. Depending upon state laws and supervision requirements, dental hygienists can work in:
- Private practice (dental office).
- Community health programs.
- School systems; military bases.
- Hospitals; long term care facilities.
- Forensics; correctional facilities.
- Insurance companies; HMO's.
- Foreign countries.
- Professional associations.
- Veterinary dentistry.
- Dental hygiene and dental school programs.
- Dental supply and product companies.
- Universities and other research centers.
- Government agencies like the U.S. Public Health Service, Indian Health Services, and Veteran's Administration.