Satisfactory Academic Progress

Satisfactory Academic Progress: An Overview
Per Federal Regulations, Tulsa Community College must monitor the academic progress of all students who receive Financial Aid. Students’ progress is measured by an objective set of standards (detailed below) at the end of each semester. Students who fail to maintain satisfactory academic progress (or SAP) will be suspended from receiving any type of Financial Aid at TCC. While TCC does allow students to appeal their suspensions, this should never be counted upon as a guarantee for re-establishing aid eligibility. Transfer credits are used when determining a student's SAP at TCC

All students receiving financial aid must meet the following standards for each semester they receive financial aid at TCC. TCC uses a student’s entire academic history to evaluate their academic progress. 

  • Minimum GPA
    • Financial aid recipients must meet the following minimum GPA requirement and retain aid eligibility:
    • 1.70 cumulative GPA is required for all students who have attempted less than 31 hours
    • 2.00 cumulative GPA is required for all students who have attempted 31 or more hours
      • NOTE: A 2.00 GPA is required for graduation at TCC.

  • Pace (formerly known as completion rate)
    • Students must complete 67 percent of all course work they attempt. To calculate pace, TCC divides the hours the student has passed by the hours attempted.
    • Pace is negatively impacted when a student withdraws from or fails to achieve a passing grade in a course. Failing grades and withdrawals count toward attempted hours, but not toward completed hours.
      • EXAMPLE: If a student completed 25 of the 30 hours attempted, his completion rate is 83 percent. (25/30 = .83)
  • Maximum Hours
    • A TCC student cannot have attempted more than 95 hours and still be eligible for aid without submitting an appeal.

Students who fail to meet minimum GPA or pace will be placed on a warning status for one semester. Students have one semester to achieve satisfactory academic progress or they will be suspended. Students who in violation of the maximum hours requirement do not get a warning semester.

Re-establishing Eligibility
Students may appeal their suspension; however there is no guarantee the appeal will be approved. Therefore, students should make alternative plans to pay for their education if they want to continue working on their degree. Students who are suspended, and have not submitted an appeal, may be dropped from any courses for which they are enrolled in future terms unless they make other arrangements to pay for their courses.

Students wishing to appeal their suspension must complete the necessary forms. Students must also visit academic advisement in order to complete an academic plan. Additionally, students will need to submit an appeal letter, explaining why they performed poorly in school and what changes they made to correct the cause of their financial aid suspension. Students will need to submit supporting evidence, such as a letter from a doctor or other professional, corroborating their explanation. Students who fail to submit all required paperwork will be denied. Students who have attempted more than 95 hours must obtain a degree plan from academic advisement.

Once a student submits their appeal, a committee will review the paperwork and make a determination as to whether the student's suspension should be reversed. There is no guarantee the committee will approve an appeal, and all decisions made by the committee are final.

Probation and Academic Plans
If the committee approves an appeal, the student will be placed on probation. The committee will set the terms of the probation, which may include:

  • Minimum GPA student must earn for each semester.
  • Minimum pace student must maintain for each semester.
  • The maximum number of hours a student is allowed to earn while still retaining financial aid eligibility.
  • The term in which the student's probation is ended, and the student must maintain satisfactory academic progress.

The committee bases the terms of the probation on the academic plan the student completed with an academic advisor. Students who fail the terms of their probation will be suspended again and must submit to the appeal process again in order to reestablish eligibility. An appeal is NOT guaranteed for a second probation. Students who are on probation for maximum hours (more than 95 attempted hours) cannot change their major without being suspended at the end of the term.