Oklahoma Resident Tuition Waiver Policy and Recommended FAFSA deadline
2016 - 2017 Oklahoma Resident Tuition Waiver Recommended FAFSA Deadline: March 15, 2016
What is an Oklahoma Resident Tuition Waiver Scholarship?
The Oklahoma Resident Tuition Waiver Scholarship is a waiver of tuition for up to $600 per semester and a total of $1,200 for the academic year. It does not include any related costs such as fees, books, housing or travel. Oklahoma Resident Tuition Waiver Scholarships are restricted to direct tuition costs and not eligible for refund to the student. The maximum award will be smaller of $600 or the student's actual tuition costs for the term.
Funds for the waiver are made on a first-come, first-served basis. The number of qualified applicants exceeds the number of waivers available; therefore FAFSA applications will be considered in the order that completed applications are received (all requirements complete). Tuition waivers are valid for one acaemic year; a new FAFSA must be submitted each academic year for consideration.
Where is the application?
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will be available January 1st, 2016.
- Residency: Applicant must be a resident of the state of Oklahoma. Residency is defined by the State Regents. There is a separate, paper application for non-residents that will waive the non-resident portion of tuition.
- GPA Requirements: Applicants must have either minimum of 3.00 cumulative GPA for Scholastic waivers or 2.5 for Need-Based.
- FAFSA: In order to be considered for a need-based waiver, applicants will need to complete a current FAFSA. Students’ need will be evaluated on the results of the FAFSA. Without a current FAFSA on file with TCC the chances of receiving the Oklahoma Resident Tuition Waiver is unlikely.
- GED: Students who did not complete high school and have not yet attempted college credit can be evaluated for the waiver on the basis of GED scores. Students must have a minimum 60 score of Scholastic Tuition Waivers. A minimum GED score of 50 is required for need-based. In order to be considered for need-based, applicants will need to complete a current FAFSA. Students’ need will determined by the results of the FAFSA.
- ACT Scores: Students who have not attempted any college credit, have not finished high school, and do not have GED scores can be considered for the waiver on the basis of ACT scores. A 25 is needed for Scholastic Tuition Waivers. A minimum score of 20 is needed for Need-Based Tuition Waivers. In order to be considered for need-based, applicants will need to complete a current FAFSA. Students’ need will determined by the results of the FAFSA.
- Completion Rate: Applicants must have a minimum of 67 percent completion rate for all attempted college hours. Completion rate is determined by dividing earned credit hours by attempted credit hours.
- Max Hours: Applicants who have more than 95 attempted credit hours are not eligible for a Oklahoma Resident Tuition Waiver. Students who have earned a bachelors degree are not eligible for tuition waivers.
- Satisfactory Academic Progress: Applicants who are suspended from Financial Aid are not eligible for the Oklahoma Resident Waiver so long as the suspension is still active.
- Degree-Seeking: Applicant must have a declared major.
- Missing Transcripts: Applicants are required to submit all transcripts from all previously attempted institutions (except for Tulsa Community College) to Enrollment Services. Applicants can be denied if one or more transcript(s) has not been turned in to Enrollment Services.
- No Academic History: Applicants who fail to provide any of the following that are applicable at the time of evaluation can be denied: All transcripts from previously attended colleges, high school transcript, GED scores or ACT scores.
- Late: Applications submitted after the deadline will be considered last.
Financial Aid Award Notification
FAFSA Applicants will receive an award notification in the Financial Aid and Scholarships dashboard with any awards offered. Questions about your award package can be answered at any TCC Financial Aid and Scholarship office, at the TCC Call Center at 918.595.2000.