Federal, State and Tribal Grants
A grant is a type of aid that is given to students on the basis of need.

Pell Grant

Pell Grant Proration

Lifetime Eligibility Limit 

Oklahoma Tuition Aid Grant

Oklahoma's Promise

Federal Supplemental Opportunity Education Grant

Tribal Grants

Federal Student Grants

The Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. The Pell Grant is intended to be the “floor” of a financial aid package. An undergraduate student who has not received a bachelor’s degree and is a U.S. citizen, or eligible non-citizen, is eligible to apply. Eligibility to receive a Federal Pell Grant is determined by the U. S. Department of Education based upon a standard formula, established by Congress, using family financial information submitted on the FAFSA and reported on the SAR. The formula produces an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) number. Your Student Aid Report (SAR) contains this number. Students must be degree-seeking, enrolled, and making reasonable satisfactory progress toward the completion of their course of study.



Federal Pell grants are paid in prorated payments. There are no exceptions for prorating Pell Grants. Pell Grants will only be paid on actual enrollment, regardless of whether a degree program recommends students to limit their course load to a certain amount. Proration is based on a student's enrollment status as follows:

StatusCredit Hours Enrolled per SemesterPercent of Eligibility
Full-time12 or more credit hours a semester100 percent of Pell Grant eligibility
Three-quarter-time9 to 11 credit hours a semester75 percent of Pell Grant eligibility
Half-time 6 to 8 credit hours a semester50 percent of Pell Grant eligibility
Less than half-time5 or less credit hours a semester25 percent of Pell Grant eligibility

*Note: There are instances when an annual Pell Grant award can only be disbursed when the student is enrolled full-time. This typically occurs when a student's EFC is in the higher-end of the Pell-Eligibility range. 


Lifetime Eligibility 

Students who have already earned a bachelor's degree are ineligible for Pell grants, regardless of need. Additionally, a student can only receive a certain amount of Pell over his or her lifetime, regardless if a student has not completed his or her first bachelor's degree. Students cannot receive more than 600 percent of Pell over their lifetime. To better understand this requirement, use the above paragraph over proration. If a student maintains full-time status for a year then that student will use 100 percent of their eligibility; if a student only attends a half-time for a year then the student will use 50 percent. If a student maintains full-time status for six years than that student will use 600 percent. The lifetime eligibility limit of 600 percent was implemented for the first time in the 2012 - 2013 academic year. 


Oklahoma Tuition Aid Grant

OTAG is grant funding based on need for up to 75 percent of tuition and fees to Oklahoma resident students making reasonable satisfactory academic progress. To apply, submit the FAFSA by March 1 of each year for best consideration, as funds are limited. This program is administered by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education. Students must maintain at least six credit hours of enrollment a semester to be eligible for OTAG. Students must be eligible for Pell in order to receive OTAG.


Oklahoma's Promise

Oklahoma’s Promise is a program set up by the Oklahoma Legislature to help students pay for their college education if their parents’ income from taxed and untaxed sources is $50,000 or less at the time the student applies for the program.  Students must apply during their eighth-, ninth- or 10th-grade year (homeschool students must be age 13, 14 or 15).  

TCC students enrolled in Oklahoma’s Promise should see their awards on the Financial Aid package (accessible on the Financial Aid Dashboard through MyTCC) within the first 60 days after the start of the semester.  If a student is eligible for the Oklahoma’s Promise but does not see the award credited to their account they need to contact a TCC Financial Aid office for further information.   

**Students are REQUIRED to notify a TCC Financial Aid Office before the end of the semester about any unpaid Oklahoma’s Promise funds in order to receive their award for that semester.  Funds will not be back-paid if a student does not notify TCC of any problems with their award before the semester cut-off.

**Oklahoma’s Promise students who graduated High School in 2012 or after are REQUIRED to have a current FAFSA on file for your award to pay. 

Last Day to Claim Oklahoma’s Promise for Fall 2013: December 16, 2013.


Oklahoma State Regents Requirements for Oklahoma’s Promise

Student Requirements

1.       The taxed and untaxed income of the student's parents may not exceed $50,000 at the time of enrollment in the eighth-, ninth- or 10th grade.1 In addition, for students eligible to receive the award in college for the first time in 2012-13 and thereafter, the federal adjusted gross income (AGI) of the student's parents (or the income of the student if the student is officially determined to be financially independent of their parents) must also not exceed $100,000 at the time the student begins college and prior to receiving the scholarship.

2.       Take 17 units of required high school courses to help get ready for college (see the next section for details). The Oklahoma's Promise Curriculum Worksheet (Excel, 23k) can help you record your grades and make sure you have taken the right courses. You can also get more details about what high school courses count toward the Oklahoma's Promise curriculum.

3.       Make a cumulative 2.5 GPA or better in the 17 required units and a cumulative 2.5 GPA for all courses in grades nine-12.2

4.       Do your homework.

5.       Don't skip school.

6.       Don't abuse drugs or alcohol.

7.       Don't commit criminal or delinquent acts.

8.       Meet with a teacher, counselor or principal to go over your schoolwork and records.

9.       Provide information when requested.

10.   Apply for other financial aid during your senior year of high school.

11.   Take part in Oklahoma's Promise activities that will prepare you for college.

12.   For students applying for the program in 2007-08 and thereafter, the student must be a U.S. citizen or lawfully present in the United States at the time they enroll in college in order to receive the scholarship.

For more information, email, call the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education's student information hotline at 800.858.1840 or write to Oklahoma's Promise, Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education, PO Box 108850, Oklahoma City, OK 73101-8850.


Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant

The FSEOG provides grants to students with the greatest financial need as determined from the SAR analysis and on the availability of funds. The grant may not exceed $4,000 a year. Students must be enrolled in at least half-time status and be making satisfactory academic progress.


Tribal Grants

Available to Native American students, application procedures are initiated in the appropriate Tribal Education Office and by submitting the FAFSA.




 status (nine to 11 ): 75 percent of Pell Grant eligibility